Three “Must Haves” Before Kids Go to College

Have you noticed that time moves a LOT faster than it did when we were younger? We’re already more than half-way through the year and summer is flying by so fast we’re expecting the leaves to change color any day now. Meanwhile, your kids are entering adulthood whether you’re ready or not. Keep reading to know the THREE things you need to do with them before they start “adulting” for themselves.

They’re facing a year of non-stop new experiences and decision-making. Between their school workload and campus life assimilation, they’re bound to need help keeping their lives in order. Makes you wonder how prepared they are to make adult decisions and honor their individual responsibilities.

Legal Needs for Your College StudentIt’s unfair to let them fend for themselves entirely. But you may feel there’s not much you can do, especially if your child is attending an out-of-state college or university. There are ways, however, that you can take care of your child’s legal needs, which protect your 18-year-old — while taking away some of the worry that comes with parenting a new adult.

The good news is we can help your college student have all the protectionthey’ll need to make decisions on their life and health when they need it most. And check this out: without these, the college or university you’re paying so dearly… well, they legally can’t give you any information about how your baby is doing. Nothing. Nada.

Three Key Documents Every 18 Year Must Have:

  1. Durable Power of Attorney. A Durable Power of Attorney names someone to make decisions for your college student in the event they are unable to make them by themselves. These are primarily financial decisions, but may also include dealing with college administrations, making travel arrangements, ensuring taxes are filed in a timely manner and other more serious matters. Read more BY CLICKING HERE.
  2. Legal Needs for Your College StudentHealth Care Proxy. The minute your child turns 18, you can no longer simply act on their behalf on health care decisions. Getting a health care proxy will allow you to make decisions for your college-age son or daughter if they are injured or too sick to make difficult life decisions. To learn more about how a health care proxy can help you regain decision-making control of your child’s welfare in the most critical moments, READ THS ARTICLE.
  3. Doctor-Patient Privacy Authorization (HIPAA Release). There’s nothing that makes a parent feel more helpless than when you call your 18-year-old’s doctor and they can’t give you critical information about your child’s health status. Once they reach adulthood, you lose the ability to talk directly with your collegestudent’s doctor. Imagine if you thought Junior was having mental health issues at school. How would it feel if you couldn’t get anyone to give you any information? You can get around that information blockade with your son or daughter’s consent. READ THIS ARTICLE  to discover how anyone can waive their privacy rights to the person(s) of their choice.Legal Needs for Your College Student – Part 3: Navigating Doctor-Patient Privacy

The transition from high school minor to college-age adult typically involves assembling IKEA furniture, buying cool campus-worthy outfits and stocking up on ramen noodles by the case. Aside from the fun activities, it’s important to have a serious discussion about all the what-ifs that come with growing into adulthood. Remember, your kids have been depending on you since the day they were born. They need to be made aware of the legal responsibilities they’ve aged into in the past year.

Did you know? If you’re a member of our Most Trusted Advisor program all three of these documents for your newly minted adult children are always free. For the rest of our clients, if you didn’t say “yes” to the Most Trusted Advisor program before, we’ll waive the on-boarding fee for the month of August. Call us at 508-281-7900 with any questions or to set up an appointment.

Is your kid already on campus? Not to worry. You can schedule an appointment to meet with us when he or she comes home on break. Just give us a heads up a few weeks in advance.

Other items of interest:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply